Economy Step Feeder Automates Feeding of Small Cylindrical and Spherical Parts
How it works
Bulk parts are lifted out of the integrated hopper bin by the step. The step thickness is selected so that a single row of parts is lifted. At the top of the step stroke, the parts drop onto a straight line track (vibratory inline, belt conveyor or air track), where additional orientation can be performed. Mis-oriented parts ejected from the orienting track can often drop directly back into the bin, or can be returned to the bin via gravity slide, air track or conveyor in situations where more complex orientation is performed on the orienting track.
Download Step Feeder Product Information and Specifications
Pneumatic Drive Step Feeder with vibratory orienting inline and table
Electric Drive Step Feeder with orienting belt conveyor
and another belt conveyor returning rejected parts to the step feeder bin
- Multiple drive options: The Economy Step Feeder is available with an electric motor or air-driven linear slide powering the step.
- Integrated hopper bin: Provides for storage of up to 1/4 cu. ft. of unoriented parts.
- Quiet operation: Because the Economy Step Feeder is driven by air or an electric motor, noise levels are significantly lower than that of vibratory feeders.
- Space savings: Measuring only 15" wide, 18" long and 18.5" high with a 17.25" part discharge height, the Economy Step Feeder usually consumes less space than other types of feeders.
- Gentle part handling: Because there is no vibration, part abrasion in a step feeder is significantly reduced. With the simple orientation technique of the step feeder system of lifting a single row parts out of the bin with the step, and final orientation performed on a vibratory inline, conveyor or air track, there is little to no wear on parts fed through a step feeder. This makes the Economy Step Feeder ideal for feeding fragile parts.
- Extremely durable: The simple linear motion of the step and the non-abrasive interaction with the parts being fed ensure that the Economy Step Feeder will operate for years with minimal maintenance.
Electric or Pneumatic Drive
Integrated Hopper Bin
- Input: 110V AC (electric drive) or 32 PSI air (pneumatic drive)
- Cycle time: Approximately 1.5 - 2 seconds (tuned to suit the application)
- Step thickness: 1/4", 3/8" or 1/2" (thickness is selected to suit the characteristics of the parts being fed)
- Step width: 8"
- Bin size: 1/4 cu. ft.
The Economy Step Feeder is easily customizable. The design is readily modified so items like step width, step thickness, bin size, drive configuration and cycle time can be custom-tuned to suit your application. Please contact us with your application requirements so we can determine whether a standard or custom configuration is needed.
The Economy Step Feeder requires a straight line track, which can be a vibratory inline, belt conveyor or air track to perform final orientation and discharge oriented parts. Other components commonly integrated with step feeder systems include:
- Prefeeders with automatic metering into the step feeder, providing increased storage of bulk parts.
- Return of mis-oriented parts via gravity track, belt conveyor or air track.
- Baseplates and tables.
- Part escapement and isolation devices.
- Custom sensor and control packages.